[R-SIG-Mac] Forking issues in Mavericks

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 30 18:26:37 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> I didn't have time to look (will do later today), but a wild guess is that Apple was moving away from some common libraries like OpenSSL and replacing them with their own which could be CF-based and thus unsafe. Again, that's wild guess, I'll have to look at the trace to confirm that.

Thanks. It's unfortunate though, these developments are limiting the
usefulness of the parallel package on the mac, because a lot of basic
functionality is now considered "unsafe" to use in a forked process,
even though on Linux there is no problem at all. I also don't get why
osx decides to kill both the parent and child process when the child
attempt to do something unsafe. That doesn't seem the most graceful
way of dealing with things.