[R-SIG-Mac] Updating to Mavericks

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 14:25:20 CEST 2013

We are required by our CERT team to update: they view this as a service
pack and hence compulsory for machines connected (directly, not via NAT)
to ox.ac.uk.

Please note that everything here is about upgrading to 10.9: things
could be different for a fresh install (we have not yet done one).

On 25/10/2013 02:39, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Kevin Ushey wrote:
>
>> With XCode 5.0, clang is now the default compiler toolchain supplied,
>> and llvm-gcc-4.2 is no longer available.

Yes, but for 10.8 it will still be there if you updated Xcode, and you
can also still install the command-line tools for 4.6.3 (as I posted
earlier).

If you upgrade to Mavericks (10.9) the llvm-* compilers will still be
present but some of the dylibs they link to are not.

>> FWIW, I and many others have had a lot of success compiling packages
>> with the version of clang supplied with XCode. The only requirement
>> (at this point) is that you set your own ~/.R/Makevars settings, as
>> discussed in the SO posts -- in particular, you need
>>
>>     CC=clang
>>     CXX=clang++

Please don't quote 'SO posts' (and especially not without links).  The
definitive information is in the R manuals (and has been since R 3.0.0).
  See
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#OS-X-packages
.  Apart from anything else, the people who update the manuals deserve
credit for their work.

>> You may need to reinstall packages from source that your packages link
>> to (e.g., Rcpp) and compile them with the new set of compilers for
>> them to play nicely together, but in general this should work.

Actually, you don't.  clang and llvm-gcc-4.2 are ABI compatible for
10.8.  And I have successfully tested RcppEigen (which has just been
updated) on 10.9 with clang using the CRAN binary distribution of Rcpp.

>> However, hopefully others can give advice on the 'recommended'
>> compiler toolchain now for R and Mavericks.
>>

> The recommended toolchain as far as CRAN binaries are concerned
remains the same since the binaries did not change. I cannot currently
check on my 10.9 machine so I'll have to confirm it later, but there are
several options - you can install Apple's original llvm-gcc package or
use our gcc build (which includes gfortran). Depending on the route you
take, you can also simply symlink the compiler to lvm-g*-4.2 instead of
modifying Makevars.

The Makevars route works fine.

> If you want to start from scratch (i.e. compile R and packages from
sources), then you can use clang, it's known to work (modulo a few
packages that are not up to date).

A gotcha we have seen so far:

/usr/X11 exists but is no longer a link to /opt/X11 for XQuartz.  So I
needed --x-includes=/opt/X11/include --x-libraries=/opt/X11/lib on the
configure line.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk