[R-SIG-Mac] Xcode 5

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 10:24:22 CEST 2013

On 26/09/2013 08:19, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Xcode was released last week, although it did not show up as an update
> for me until this.  It may be available only for Mountain Lion: the
> command-line tools seems only to be.
>
> As expected, the compilers used for the CRAN binary build, llvm-gcc-4.2
> and llvm-g++-4.2, are not part of Xcode 5.  Less expected was that
> updating to Xcode 5 did not remove them, at least for me.

But 'gcc' and 'g++' _are_ included in Xcode 5, as a version of clang
(rather than a GCC-based compiler).  That is rather confusing.

It does mean that packages with autoconf scripts which do not take care
to set CC/CXX will run with the clang-based gcc/g++ and quite possibly
get incorrect results.  (Since autoconf has always preferred gcc to cc.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk