[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling R-packages on Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Mar 30 12:53:57 CET 2013

On Mar 30, 2013, at 7:29 AM, Petar Milin wrote:

> Hello ALL!
> I am a newbie on Mac, with long Linux experience (Ubuntu, than Debian, finally Fedora, for many years). R on Mac is very pleasant and works nicely. However, I noticed something strange, while I was trying to compile a package on which my research team is working. Briefly, I could compile/install the package via R interface, but not in console mode (terminal). It seems that some low-level stuffs are missing, like gfortran and the like. Now, I wonder how it is possible to compile the package successfully via R IDE, but not in terminal, with R CMD INSTALL xyz?
>
> Also, if I miss something which is not there by default, and provided by Xcode, how to get that? Should I use Mac Ports? Homebrew? Or via packages on this site <http://hpc.sourceforge.net/index.php>?

None of them - they won't work. Install Fortran from CRAN
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/

Also make sure you have Xcode Command Line Tools installed.

> Please, help me with this? I am worried that PATHs are not nicely lined up and integrated in my Mac OS X…

Are you using MacPort or similar? They may be messing up your system - make sure you are not on your PATH.
At any rate, for more specific help, please include exact output of the failures you see.