[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with R 3.0.1

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jun 27 21:38:07 CEST 2013

On Jun 27, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2013, at 11:44 AM, "Chen, Gang (NIH/NIMH) [C]" <gangchen at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>> R 3.0.1 does not seem to work properly on two of my Mac notebooks, one with 10.8.2 and the other 10.6.8. When I start R on the terminal, I get the following:
>>
>> Error in .Call("R_isMethodsDispatchOn", onOff, PACKAGE = "base") :
>> "R_isMethodsDispatchOn" not available for .Call() for package "base"
>>
>> R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
>>
>> Even the following does not work:
>>
>>> citation()
>> Error: could not find function "citation"
>>
>> However, once I downgraded R from 3.0.1 to 3.0, everything works fine. What could be the source of the problem?

I would try to delete R, local packages and re-install. It seems like a package/R version mismatch.

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Gang
>

> I would try to download 3.0.1 from a different CRAN mirror. My first guess is that your download was corrupted and/or did not install correctly or fully.
>
> You could try to test the MD5 hash for the downloaded file. The correct hash value is listed on the download page for OSX:
>
> In a terminal:
>
> md5 R-3.0.1.pkg
> MD5 (R-3.0.1.pkg) = c0e6e702742f17cd9b2f2e4cb1c5dcad
>

> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>
> P.S. to Simon. Should there be a consideration for replacing MD5 with SHA, given the issues with the former?

The .pkg itself is signed so I don't think there is a way to mount an MD5 collision attack without breaking the pkg ... The idea here is just to check quickly that you don't have an incomplete file so MD5 is just fine for that.