[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with R 3.0.1

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Jun 27 19:00:36 CEST 2013

On Jun 27, 2013, at 11:44 AM, "Chen, Gang (NIH/NIMH) [C]" <gangchen at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> R 3.0.1 does not seem to work properly on two of my Mac notebooks, one with 10.8.2 and the other 10.6.8. When I start R on the terminal, I get the following:
>
> Error in .Call("R_isMethodsDispatchOn", onOff, PACKAGE = "base") :
>  "R_isMethodsDispatchOn" not available for .Call() for package "base"
>
> R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
>
> Even the following does not work:
>
>> citation()
> Error: could not find function "citation"
>
> However, once I downgraded R from 3.0.1 to 3.0, everything works fine. What could be the source of the problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gang

I would try to download 3.0.1 from a different CRAN mirror. My first guess is that your download was corrupted and/or did not install correctly or fully.

You could try to test the MD5 hash for the downloaded file. The correct hash value is listed on the download page for OSX:

In a terminal:

md5 R-3.0.1.pkg
MD5 (R-3.0.1.pkg) = c0e6e702742f17cd9b2f2e4cb1c5dcad

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

P.S. to Simon. Should there be a consideration for replacing MD5 with SHA, given the issues with the former?