[R-SIG-Mac] Installing igraph

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 27 16:52:48 CEST 2013

On 27/06/2013 14:32, Thomas wrote:
> I've been given an old Mac to run some R programs on and I'm having
> trouble setting up. I just need to get igraph working It's OS X 10.5.6
> and I have installed R 2.15.3 plus the copy of XCode that came on the
> DVD.
>
> For some reason I can't use the package installer. The list of available
> packages appears but I can't install any of them - the full error
> message I get is copied below.
>
> So then I copied the igraph tar.gz file to my machine and in Terminal
> ran R  CMD INSTALL /Users...igraph_0.6.5-2.tar.gz. I get an error
> message saying:
>
> make: gfortran: command not found

Well, you did not install it.  See the 'R Installation and
Administration Manual' in that version of R.

Hint: see http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/ and you probably
want the tcltk pkg too.

> Error 127
> compilation failed for package
>
> Any advise would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Thomas Chesney
>

> ===================
>

> Warning: dependency ‘graph’ is not available

Note that is a Bioconductor package.

> also installing the dependencies ‘rgl’, ‘ape’, ‘XML’, ‘jpeg’, ‘png’
>
> trying URL
> 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/rgl_0.93.932.tgz'
>
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 7832250 bytes (7.5 Mb)
> opened URL
> ======
> downloaded 924 Kb

You or that CRAN mirror has a networking problem.  Try a different mirror.