[R-SIG-Mac] Installing igraph

Thomas Thomas.Chesney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 27 15:32:40 CEST 2013

I've been given an old Mac to run some R programs on and I'm having
trouble setting up. I just need to get igraph working It's OS X 10.5.6
and I have installed R 2.15.3 plus the copy of XCode that came on the
DVD.

For some reason I can't use the package installer. The list of
available packages appears but I can't install any of them - the full
error message I get is copied below.

So then I copied the igraph tar.gz file to my machine and in Terminal
ran R  CMD INSTALL /Users...igraph_0.6.5-2.tar.gz. I get an error
message saying:

make: gfortran: command not found
Error 127
compilation failed for package

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Thomas Chesney

===================

Warning: dependency ‘graph’ is not available
also installing the dependencies ‘rgl’, ‘ape’, ‘XML’, ‘jpeg’, ‘png’

trying URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/rgl_0.93.932.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 7832250 bytes (7.5 Mb)
opened URL
======
downloaded 924 Kb

trying URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/ape_3.0-8.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1466843 bytes (1.4 Mb)
opened URL
==
downloaded 79 Kb

trying URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/XML_3.96-1.1.tgz'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   cannot open URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/XML_3.96-1.1.tgz'
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   downloaded length 947051 != reported length 7832250
2: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   downloaded length 81060 != reported length 1466843
3: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   unable to connect to 'star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk' on port 80.
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
available,  :
   download of package ‘XML’ failed
trying URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/jpeg_0.1-2.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 896337 bytes (875 Kb)
opened URL
===
downloaded 67 Kb

trying URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/png_0.1-4.tgz'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   cannot open URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/png_0.1-4.tgz'
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   downloaded length 69513 != reported length 896337
2: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   unable to connect to 'star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk' on port 80.
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
available,  :
   download of package ‘png’ failed
trying URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/igraph_0.6.5-1.tgz'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   cannot open URL 'http://star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cran/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.15/igraph_0.6.5-1.tgz'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
   unable to connect to 'star-www.st-andrews.ac.uk' on port 80.
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
available,  :
   download of package ‘igraph’ failed

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
Error: file ‘/var/folders/2A/2AFkl9EaGiqnzvUcx24gXU+++TI/-Tmp-//
RtmpNmBaq8/downloaded_packages/rgl_0.93.932.tgz’ is not an OS X binary
package
In addition: Warning message:
'tar' returned non-zero exit code 2 This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.