[R-SIG-Mac] Saving or copying graphics from Quartz returns empty file

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 29 15:01:23 CET 2013

On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:59 AM, Heather CHAPMAN wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anyone suggest some help for saving or copying graphs I've created in the Quartz screen? I've read the R-FAQ and tried to search for answers, but have not found anything. I'm using a Mac, Mountain Lion OS, and have version 2.15.2 of R.
>
> When I save a graphic, the process either crashes R, or if it saves a file, when I open it I get a blank file or an error message that reads "The file Rplot.pdf could not be opened." When I try to copy the graphic instead to paste into any other program (Word, Excel, etc), a blank image frame is all I get. I have also tried running graphics and either saving or exporting from RStudio and have the same issues.
>
> I assume there is some package I've not loaded or some bug fix I need to get, but I can't find any documentation about it. Any ideas?

The easiest WYSIWYG way is to use

quartz.save("foo.pdf","pdf")

which works in the R.app GUI.

Nonetheless, copy/paste works as well although it uses a different way. If we are to look into that, can you tell us exactly what OS version are you on and provide sessionInfo() to have an idea about your setup?