[R-SIG-Mac] Mavericks CMD install error

zListserv zlistserv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 21:19:36 CET 2013

I’ve done my best to follow Prof Ripley’s instructions (30 Oct 2013) for installing packages after upgrading to Mavericks.

I’m stuck with an error in a package that installed without error under 10.8 (with the most recent version of Xcode 5.0.2).  I installed the command line tools (late Oct 2013) for Mavericks and updated XQuartz.  I inserted definitions for CC, CXX, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, & FLIBS in ~/.R.Makevars:

CC=clang
CXX=clang++
CFLAGS="-mtune=native -g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -Wconversion"
CXXFLAGS="-mtune=native -g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -Wconversion”
FLIBS=-lgfortran

though xcode-select —install generated an error (“Can’t install software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server”).

Here’s the error:

$ r CMD install zStat
* installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library’
* installing *source* package ‘zStat’ ...
** libs
clang -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o zStat.so zCor.o SHLIB_LIBADD = -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
clang: error: no such file or directory: 'SHLIB_LIBADD'
clang: error: no such file or directory: '='
make: *** [zStat.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘zStat’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/zStat’
* restoring previous ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/zStat’

I would appreciate any guidance you can offer.