[R-SIG-Mac] Unable to load Rcmdr with R 3.0.1 on a Mac OS X 10.8.3

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Aug 22 05:22:08 CEST 2013

Sarah,

On Aug 21, 2013, at 9:32 PM, Sarah Hardy wrote:

> Dear Simon,
>
> > Did you try "Repair Disk Permissions" in "Disk Utility"?
>
> Not previously, but I just did and some things were repaired. Then I installed Rcmdr again (but didn't reinstall R 3.0.1), but got the same results.
>
> Here is the output you asked for:
>
> > system("ls -ld /usr/local /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libtcl*")
> ls: /usr/local/lib/libtcl*: Permission denied
> drwxr-xr-x   7 root      wheel   238 Aug 19 16:44 /usr/local
> drwx------  31 macports  wheel  1054 Aug 21 16:08 /usr/local/lib

Ah, I see, MacPorts has messed up your system (why am I not surprised ;)).

If you don't use MacPorts yourself (it causes more headaches than good IMHO) I would suggest blowing away /usr/local and re-installing R. If you don't want to resort to such drastic measures, you can try changing the permissions with something like (in Terminal, not R):

sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/*

That will fix your immediate problem, but MacPorts may have messed with other places as well.