[R-SIG-Mac] "edit" command does not work as I would expect

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Aug 14 17:57:51 CEST 2013

David,

On Aug 14, 2013, at 10:37 AM, David Epstein wrote:

> Thanks for your email, which was sufficient to point me to my error.
>
> Before your email, I had thought that if the file did not exist, then the "edit" command would create the file, since this is what happens when using editor programs under Unix. But in R is not correct, at least on my combination of OS and R.
>
> So I first separately created a file called "nam.R" and then tried
> vi(file="nam.R").
> At this point R opened a new window with an editor that controlled the window and enabled one to edit "nam.R", but the editor wasn't vi and it wasn't vim. Maybe it was some standard editor provided with R.
> My problem is therefore half solved. I cannot see how to invoke a true vim or vi that cooperates directly with R.
> Do other Mac users experience the same feature?

I suspect that you're running the R Mac GUI (you didn't say). In that case, you're not on a shell, so obviously you cannot use shell programs like vi. If your editor is a proper OS X app (and not just a command line tool), you can set it to be the default editor in the preferences of the GUI.

However, given the reference to other unix platforms above, my guess would be that you really intended to use the command-line version of R (by typing "R" in the shell) - there all the regular unix rules apply.