[R-SIG-Mac] R.app doesn't respect DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Aug 9 15:13:23 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Just for clarification, I only set the variable in ~/.Renviron to be sure that it was picked up by R.app, in case Tom had not used the correct syntax. I did not actually install the package under discussion from the source at GitHub, so I cannot confirm that the approach resolved the issue that Tom is reporting. Tom's report would suggest that it does not.

Berend's reply would seem to support the notion that this is a problem in the way in which the package ends up being built, so would lead one down the path, I believe, of a bug in the package, perhaps in its make related files vis-a-vis the included C++ code. Thus a report to the package author would seem to be in order.

With respect to Kasper's reply, there are potential issues in resetting or unsetting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in that there are other applications that can depend upon their value and if altered, can break those applications. So the caution is warranted.

If Tom is on Mountain Lion, the message:

  "dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/usr/bin/login) is setuid or setgid"

may be related to a known bug in Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) that occurs when running sudo in a terminal session. It has been widely reported, with various attempts at resolution, including things like creating shell wrappers for sudo, but no definitive solution that lacks side effects has been put forth. Apple appears to know about the bug, since reports would suggest that it has been resolved in beta releases of Mavericks (OS X 10.9), but no official fix is yet pending for Mountain Lion. Perhaps a future update to Mountain Lion might include the fix if the Mavericks solution is stable.

If Tom is not on Mountain Lion, then the problem may yet be related in terms of the underlying etiology in setting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, which brings Kasper's note of caution into consideration.

Regards,

Marc