[R-SIG-Mac] hidden files and directories

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Aug 7 15:17:24 CEST 2013

You should be running R CMD check on the package *tarball*, not on the source folder tree. So:

  R CMD check pkgName_X.1.tar.gz

or perhaps:

  R CMD check --as-cran pkgName_X.1.tar.gz

after running:

  R CMD build pkgName

to create the source tarball.

The output regarding the .DS_Store files is a NOTE regarding the package folder tree, not on the tarball contents and is not a warning or an error. Don't worry about .DS_Store or other version control system files (eg. for SVN or Git) as they will be ignored when building the package tarball, as R excludes them by default.

Other hidden files however, may be problematic, so you should avoid explicitly creating them, just as you should remove other non-essential files that may have been created by editors, GUIs, etc. that should not be part of the source package content.

More generally, don't worry about the .DS_Store files on OSX. They contain metadata that is useful for Finder and are arguably an annoyance, but that's about it. There are parallel files on other OS's as well.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz