[R-SIG-Mac] hidden files and directories

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 18:17:42 CEST 2013

On Aug 6, 2013, at 16:59 , Rohmatul Fajriyah wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Apologise for late reply. I tried to clean some files from my laptop and it took time.
>
> Prof. Ripley: I already checked it and untar but it still produces the .DS_Store
> Dr. Hansen: I did it as follows: R CMD build pkgName, then R CMD install pkgName_X.1.tar.gz and R CMD check pkgName.
> After the last step, the results was
>
> NOTE: There was 1 note.
> See
>   ‘/Users/rfajriyah/Desktop/pkgName.Rcheck/00check.log’
> for details.
>
> It because of this :
> * checking for hidden files and directories ... NOTE
> Found the following hidden files and directories:
>   .DS_Store
>   man/.DS_Store
> These were most likely included in error. See section ‘Package
> structure’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.
>
> The man/Rapp.history is gone now, after I deleted it manually.
>
> I suppose, I need to know how to clean the .DS_Store from my laptop.
>
> Prof. Dalgaard Prof. Winsemius: if I type defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE in terminal session, yes, I can see the .DS_Store by using ls or Finder.app.
>
> But still don't know how to clear/remove it.

You can do it with rm in a terminal, but as I understand it, .DS_store files are created _by_ Finder, so it is a bit of a fight against windmills. It'll be there again next time you view the directory.

The key is to do what Kasper said. Exactly what he said, not what you think he meant to say! I.e.,

 R CMD build pkgName
 R CMD check pkgName_X_Y_Z.tar.gz

I.e., do not install, build and run check on the .tar.gz file. R CMD build should take care of skipping the .DS_store files.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com