[R-SIG-Mac] hidden files and directories

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Aug 6 02:16:17 CEST 2013

On Aug 5, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Rohmatul Fajriyah wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I tried to build an R package (from the terminal) and everything was ok until R CMD check PackageName and I got this message:
> * checking for hidden files and directories ... NOTE
> Found the following hidden files and directories:
>   .DS_Store
>   man/.Rapp.history

Those files would both be invisible when using the Finder.app unless you used ls in a terminal session, but I guess you figured that out

> These were most likely included in error. See section ‘Package
> structure’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.
>
> I, then:
> a. went through the archives of this mailing list (until January 2011) and I could not find a similar problem.
> (apologise, if I missed it)

In 2008 it was reported in the NEWS for R 2.7.1 that:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.r-project.r-help+DS_Store#query:list%3Aorg.r-project.r-help%20DS_Store+page:1+mid:cx3hryqssis2slx7+state:results

o R CMD build tries harder to clean up the inst/doc directory from the remnants of earlier builds.

It also removes any directories with extension .Rcheck, and files .DS_Store and ._* (created by tar on Mac OS X under some circumstances: it now sets environment variables to ask for such files not to be created by that tar.)

So we need to ask if this was just a warning message. It appears that there are mechanisms in place to remove those files.

(It's arguably an R-devel topic.)
--
David.