[R-SIG-Mac] how to compile R for use with binary CRAN packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Apr 29 14:20:35 CEST 2013

On Apr 29, 2013, at 5:04 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 28/04/2013 18:43, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> The build page at
>>
>> http://r.research.att.com/building.html
>>
>> explicitly mentions
>>
>> <quote>
>> Note that your binary will require you to install all packages from sources.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Is there any documentation on how to compile R from source
>> in such a way that one can install binary packages from CRAN?
>>
>> I have read
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#OS-X
>>
>> but may have overlooked any specific pointers.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Best,
>> Tobias
>>
>> P.S. target R version currently is R 2.15.3 but if R 3.0.0
>> would make this easier, then that is a sufficient reason to
>> move to R 3.0.0.
>>

> Why do you want to do that?  If you modify the sources binary packages may not longer work ....
>
> No guarantees, but
>
> - do this for the version of R you currently have installed.
>
> - configure R with --with-aqua, --enable-R-framework (which are the default, AFAIR).

The actual flags used to build the current CRAN binary are in

https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build/conf.snowleopard-x86_64

If you want to replicate the CRAN build (requires Mac OS X 10.6), you can set it up with:

mkdir /Builds
cd /Builds
svn co https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build nightly
make

cd /Builds/nightly
## put your favorite R sources here - either using svn or unpacking a tar ball - let's say it's R-3.0.0
./release R-3.0.0

If all went well you'll have everything built, installed, packages and tar balls in
deploy/snowleopard/R-3.0.0

In order to match the R capabilities that we supply on CRAN you'll also need quite a few static libraries like fontconfig, freetype, cairo etc.