[R-SIG-Mac] Which command line tools for XCode 4.2.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 22:24:20 CEST 2013

On 16/04/2013 21:03, cstrato wrote:
> Dear Roy,
>
> Thank you for this info. It seems that only the versions of Xcode which
> you download from the AppStore need the Command Line Tools installed.

In our experience all versions since 4.5 do, wherever you install them
from.   People who use long-outdated versions of tools cannot expect the
current instructions to apply to them. And the R manual does make that
clear:

‘Command Line Tools for Xcode’ used to be part of the Apple Developer
Tools (‘Xcode’) but nowadays need to be installed separately. They can
be downloaded from http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/ (you will
need to register there) or if you have a recent Xcode installed (from
the App Store or from https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/) you
can install the command-line tools from within Xcode, from the
‘Downloads’ pane in the ‘Preferences’.

Note 'used', 'nowadays', 'recent'.

> Nevertheless, in order to install a new version of clang I need to
> install the CLTs.

And isn't it nice of Apple to allow you to download them separately?