[R-SIG-Mac] Which command line tools for XCode 4.2.1

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Tue Apr 16 21:44:50 CEST 2013

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your explanation, and see below.

Best regards,
Christian

On 4/16/13 9:30 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 3:13 PM, cstrato wrote:
>
>> Dear Simon,
>>
>> On your developer site you mention:
>> "We use Xcode 4.2 but Xcode 3.2 and higher should work as well. Note that you will need Command Line Tools component of Xcode on Mac OS X 10.7 or higher."
>>
>> I am running OS X 10.7.5 and XCode 4.2.1 on my Mac, but have not downloaded the command line tools. My questions are:
>>
>> - why do I need the command line tools?
>>

> Because Xcode no longer installs compilers, linkers etc. in the system, so you won't be able to run them.

It seems that my version of Xcode 4.2.1 does have all compilers
installed, including clang, but version 3.0:
$ clang -v
Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.12) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2

>> - which version do I need to download from:
>> https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
>>
>> There are e.g.
>>   - Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - October 2012
>>     (it is not mentioned which version of Xcode)
>>   - Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - November 2012
>>     (Xcode 4.3 is mentioned but it is nor clear if it works with 4.2.1)
>>   - Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - April 2013
>>     (Xcode 4.6.2 is mentioned but it is nor clear if it works with 4.2.1)
>>

> It doesn't really matter (it may matter in the future, because Apple has announced that they'll be removing llvm-gcc from Xcode) - latest should be fine for now. The version is independent of your Xcode -- in fact if you download it by hand, you don't even need Xcode at all.
>

>>   (BTW, the Preferences for Xcode 4.2.1 do not list Command Line Tools in the Install window.)
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "Install window", but as Roy said, you'll find it in the download section of the preferences.

When I open the Preferences and go to the download section I see a
checkbox "Check for and install updates automatically", and below the
list of items, which are:
- iOS 4.3 Simulator (499.2 MB)
- iOS 4.0 - 4.1 Device Debugging Support (505.1 MB)
- iOS 3.0 - 3.2.2 Device Debugging Support (686.3 MB)
None of these three items do I want to install since the download would
be 1.7 GB and my internet connection is not very fast.

>> - do the Command Line Tools update clang/clang++?
>>

> Yes

This is good news.

>> The reason for my question is that in order to compile the C++ code in my package with clang I need at least version 3.1 since 3.0 results in an error.
>>

> You'll need to tweak your local ~/.R/Makevars for that to work since CRAN's R uses llvm-gcc.

This seems not to be possible since then I cannot compile my C++ code at
all. It seems to interfere with the ROOT framework compiled with clang
and does not find an include file. My Makefile depends on the ROOT
config file.