[R-SIG-Mac] Which command line tools for XCode 4.2.1

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal roy.mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 16 21:20:27 CEST 2013

Hi:

The command line tools can be installed once you have Xcode by stating Xcode, going to "Preference" in the File menu and then there is a "Download" option.  That is where you can install the CLI.

You may have to give a terminal command the first time to point to it once installed - I would shave to look that up - I know this had to be done for Fink.

HTH,

-Roy M.
On Apr 16, 2013, at 12:13 PM, cstrato <cstrato at aon.at> wrote:

> Dear Simon,
>
> On your developer site you mention:
> "We use Xcode 4.2 but Xcode 3.2 and higher should work as well. Note that you will need Command Line Tools component of Xcode on Mac OS X 10.7 or higher."
>
> I am running OS X 10.7.5 and XCode 4.2.1 on my Mac, but have not downloaded the command line tools. My questions are:
>
> - why do I need the command line tools?
>
> - which version do I need to download from:
> https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
>
> There are e.g.
>  - Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - October 2012
>    (it is not mentioned which version of Xcode)
>  - Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - November 2012
>    (Xcode 4.3 is mentioned but it is nor clear if it works with 4.2.1)
>  - Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - April 2013
>    (Xcode 4.6.2 is mentioned but it is nor clear if it works with 4.2.1)
>
>  (BTW, the Preferences for Xcode 4.2.1 do not list Command Line Tools in the Install window.)
>
> - do the Command Line Tools update clang/clang++?
>
> The reason for my question is that in order to compile the C++ code in my package with clang I need at least version 3.1 since 3.0 results in an error.
>
> Best regards,
> Christian

**********************
**********************