[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.0, rgdal, and the oft unloved Mac OS

Ian Fellows ian.fellows at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 10 21:53:32 CEST 2013

[Previous version was not plain text. Sorry, plain text this time…]

On a related note to the lme4 query… There was a glorious period of time where rgdal binaries (with it's external dependancies) were available on CRAN for the mac. Unfortunately, with the introduction of R 3.0 this is no longer the case. It now requires a rather protracted install process (installing GDAL, then PROJ4, then installing rgdal from source using the proper configuration arguments). I understand that this is a known issue https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2013-April/017989.html, and was wondering whether CRAN is planning on supporting a binary distribution in the future. If not, is CRAN Extras planning on hosting it?

I'm currently in the process of updating the OpenStreetMap package, and was planning on moving rgdal from a suggest to a depends, but would like to know the lay of the land before proceeding.

Best,
Ian