[R-SIG-Mac] Fonts not working in Quartz

Randall Tyers tyersome at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 01:07:58 CEST 2013

For anyone who is interested, I eventually solved the problem I was having by:

1) clearing the font cache ("sudo atsutil databases -remove" in the Terminal followed by restarting)
	which led to R generating error messages indicating that it couldn't find Arial
		(apparently, Arial (not Helvetica) is the default font for Quartz)

2) using Font Book to add the useful version of Arial back to the fonts library
	I had confirmed that I was using a functional Arial,
	    however Font Book's 'Resolve Duplicates' command had removed
	    the newer version of Arial and kept an old one that R couldn't understand

NB: for anyone trying to fix a similar problem, remember to close the Quartz window before
replotting or your changes in the 'Font Book' won't have taken effect ;-)