[R-SIG-Mac] Fonts not working in Quartz

Randall Tyers tyersome at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:50:08 CEST 2013

Hi-

When I use 'plot' the labels are all missing. If I set family='mono' (or 'sans' OR 'serif' then they
appear). I can deal with this, even if it is a touch annoying.

However, when I use 'boxplot', I don't get labels with the default font or if I set family='mono'
(or 'sans' OR 'serif').

> quartzFonts()
> $serif
> [1] "Times-Roman" "Times-Bold" "Times-Italic" "Times-BoldItalic"
>
> $sans
> [1] "Helvetica" "Helvetica-Bold" "Helvetica-Oblique" "Helvetica-BoldOblique"
>
> $mono
> [1] "Courier" "Courier-Bold" "Courier-Oblique" "Courier-BoldOblique"

The help indicates that Helvetica is the default font for Quartz - obviously this is not correct - I
suspect it is Arial (which has caused me problems before).

I did look through the last two of years of the R-SIG-Mac archive but didn't find anything that
helped. Is there something else I can check?

In particular, I would be grateful if someone could provide me information on the following:
1) What might be wrong with Boxplot?
2) How do I figure out what the default Quartz font is?
3) Any advice on fixing this font, if that is the problem? I've tried deleting duplicates in 'Font
Book' to no avail ...

Thanks so much!
-Randall

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.0 (2013-04-03)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] tools_3.0.0