[R-SIG-Mac] ‘package ‘XML’ is not installed for 'arch=x86_64'’

Ricardo.Julio.Rodriguez.Fernandez at sergas.es Ricardo.Julio.Rodriguez.Fernandez at sergas.es
Sun Sep 30 22:35:26 CEST 2012

Bared, Michel, Simon, all,

> On 29/09/2012 11:11, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM,
>> <Ricardo.Julio.Rodriguez.Fernandez at sergas.es> wrote:
>>> Please, allow me to hijack this thread to put in another, for me, related question
>>> I'm trying to work out on the list. To the best of my understanding and by following
>>> the documentation when I install R binary for Mac OS X both i386 and x86_64 are available.
>>> In fact I can easily choose among them by launching R Console by click on R or R64 "icons".
>>> But I'm not able to find the switch I must use to get the same thing when running R from
>>> the command line: I always get x86_64. I'm not able to solve this question by following
>>> R for Mac OS X FAQ or other sources of information available from CRAN.
>>>

>> For me, R32 and R64 do the job. They're simlinked to
>>
>> R* -> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R*
>>
>> where * is 32 or 64. I don't remember setting those up, so they
>> probably happen automatically if you use the CRAN installer.

In this OS X 10.5.8 box running R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22), these options launch R with 32bits architecture:

R --arch i386
R --arch=i386

**There is not a R32 symlink here.

These ones launches R with 64bits architecture:

R64
R --arch x86_64
R --arch=x86_64

> True (but you may have other scripts of that name earlier in your path:
> I do from before this was done by the installer).

Scripts are devil here! This thread has its origin in an issue while running a R script used to launch FastRWeb. I'm not able to find now where I read that it only works in a 32 bits environment. As far as the script launching it, sudo /var/FastRWeb/code/start, runs in 64bits mode, my guess was that the problems to put it up and running where related with this issue.

The point is that I have a fully operative RFastWeb installation running locally in my MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Simply great! Absolutely great! Thanks all for your help.

But I'm still struggling to understand why /var/FastRWeb/code/start launches in 64bits mode. Something in the related scripts, but I'm not able to find it.

>But the documented way is R --arch i386 (or x86_64).
>
> Which is the default sub-architecture depends on the version of OS X
> which was used for installation: from memory this is i386 for Leopard
> and x86_64 since.

I can confirm this is correct for Leopard (10.5.x); I'll check the default for Snow Leopard and beyond when regain access to some now not available remote boxes. Thanks!

> Please note that we do need to know the OS X version for questions like
> this: what the installer does depends on the version.

Indeed! I'm currently moving back and forth to/from two Mac systems running OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.8. **All the information posted in this thread concerns only 10.5.8 box**. In fact I'm facing some behavior in the 10.6.8 that doesn't fit what I'm seeing in the 10.5.8 one.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.

Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.

See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm