[R-SIG-Mac] error: unrecognized option ‘-arch’ -- suggestion!

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Sep 28 17:26:43 CEST 2012

On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> So I had a few emails with Peder, and I think he gets it now.
>
> However, one point came up which I have been wondering about as well.
> In Makeconf R only stores the name of the compiler, say "gcc" or
> perhaps "gcc-4.2".  Why not store the full path?  Peder's situation is
> that he has installed another compiler that resolves to gcc in his
> environment, masking the one in /usr/bin.  It seems to me that it
> would be more "safe" to save the entire path to the compiler, both on
> multi-user systems on in case like (for os x) the binary is downloaded
> from somewhere else.  [ on the other hand, it may be easier on Windows
> to not have the full path ]

Using the full path is not really a solution, because /usr/bin/gcc is just a symlink to whatever the user chooses. In fact, it would complicate things since Xcode now uses dynamic paths, so a setup that is perfectly fine today would break if you do that. It doesn't seem sensible to me to do that just to accommodate esoteric setups that are not even supported. If you mess with PATH and other system variables, you better know what you're doing - you get what you deserve. That's why we warn specifically about 3rd party compiler binaries as they are well known to break. But, as Brian pointed out, all this seems to come from a failure to adhere to the most basic requirement: if you use our binaries, you have to use the tools we tell you to use. You're free to not use our binaries and do what you want, but then you're on your own and can't claim that it's something we are responsible for.

> [...]
>>
>> Peder,
>>
>> You seem a bit confused.  Let me explain it a bit clearer.  When you
>> compile R, the settings (and compiler) with which you compiled R is
>> stored in Makeconf and used to compile new packages using R CMD
>> INSTALL.  This ensures that you use the same compiler settings to
>> build R and add-on packages, which is obviously an _extremely good_
>> idea.  If you want to use another compiler with R, you will need to
>> re-compile R using this compiler, which should work.
>>
>> My guess is that you are using the CRAN binary of R (compiled using
>> the official compiler) and you want to use another compiler to build
>> an add-on package.  This is not supported, and it should not be
>> supported, because it is an extremely bad idea.
>>
>> Below is my configure call for building R from svn, using Simon's
>> build of Apple's GCC codebase (aka the official compiler).  It should
>> be easy to modify this to build R using a different compiler.  I am
>> just including this as an example.  Once you have build R using you
>> new compiler, R CMD INSTALL should work out of the box.
>>
>> Note that if you want aqua support, you need a compiler that supports
>> objective-C (as far as I understand).  I don't use a GUI, but I use an
>> aqua device, like
>> R>  quartz()
>>
>> (I may use imprecise terminology here, wrt. aqua and quartz).
>>
>> Kasper
>>
>> configure:
>>
>> export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> ../${SRCDIR}/configure SHELL='/bin/bash' \
>>  --prefix=/usr/local/R/R-${R_VERSION} --disable-R-framework\
>>  CC="/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 -std=gnu99" \
>>  CFLAGS="-g -O2 -std=gnu99 -march=nocona" \
>>  CXX="/usr/bin/g++-4.2 -arch x86_64" \
>>  CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=nocona" \
>>  OBJC="/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64" \
>>  F77="/usr/bin/gfortran-4.2 -arch x86_64" \
>>  FFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=nocona" \
>>  FC="/usr/bin/gfortran-4.2 -arch x86_64" \
>>  FCFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=nocona" \
>>  --enable-memory-profiling\
>>  --x-includes=/usr/X11/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib\
>>  --with-system-zlib\
>>  --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack
>>

>>> I'm sure it could be implemented better, but something like:
>>> GCCPATH =
>>>
>>> # If we are using the Apple compiler [that supports the -arch option], this is the argument to that option.
>>> ARCH = x86_64
>>>
>>> # Get information on the gcc to be used.
>>> ISAPPLESTRING := $(shell "$(GCCPATH)gcc --version")
>>> ISAPPLEKEY := Apple
>>>
>>> # This will either be nothing or '-arch $(ARCH)'
>>> MYARCH := $(if $(findstring $(ISAPPLEKEY),$(ISAPPLESTRING)),"-arch $(ARCH)")

>>> MYGPP = $(GCCPATH)g++ $(MYARCH)