[R-SIG-Mac] can't install 'datasets' package in OS X

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 01:12:45 CEST 2012

On Sep 14, 2012, at 2:09 PM, C W wrote:

> Hi list,
> I am having some trouble using the datasets package.  The 'state' data is
> missing.

Evidence?  (Notice there is no dataframe named "state")

state.abb (state)              US State Facts and Figures
state.area (state)             US State Facts and Figures
state.center (state)           US State Facts and Figures
state.division (state)         US State Facts and Figures
state.name (state)             US State Facts and Figures
state.region (state)           US State Facts and Figures
state.x77 (state)              US State Facts and Figures

> So, I removed the package trying to reinstall.

Well, now you've really done it, Ollie.

> What I did,
> Package&Data > Package Installer > Get list
>
> No 'datasets' in the list.

Correct. Also no "stats" or "base" or "graphics".

> So, I tried to install using,
>
>> install.packages('datasets')
>
> Warning message:
>
> package Œdatasets‚ is not available (for R version 2.15.1)
>

> But, the documentation says it is built for 2.15.1.
> http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/datasets/html/00Index.html

Since it is part of the base install, you may find it easiest to just reinstall R.

--
David.