[R-SIG-Mac] tcltk does not automatically launch XQuartz

Luca Scrucca luca at stat.unipg.it
Thu Oct 25 12:43:23 CEST 2012

Dear Mac useRs,

I have a problem with tcltk on a Mac running OSX 10.8.2 and R 2.15.1.
Using R.app GUI I got the following:

> library(tcltk)
Warning message:
In fun(libname, pkgname) :
  no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

I was able to solve this by running XQuartz.app before loading the tcltk library.
However, this doesn't help if I run R from the console. Unfortunately, this is needed if you want to build/check a package that requires tcltk.

Furthermore, in the previous OSX versions I used (both Leopard and Snow Leopard series) when I was in R (both on GUI or console) and I needed the tcltk library, if X11 was not running the system automatically launched the required application. This appears to be changed with Mountain Lion (and Xquartz) but I guess the old behaviour would solve the problem mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Luca

Luca Scrucca
Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
Sezione di Statistica
Università degli Studi di Perugia
Via A. Pascoli, 20
06123 PERUGIA  (ITALY)