[R-SIG-Mac] Naive question about permissions

Paul Hewson paul.hewson at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 23:28:16 CEST 2012

typing R in the console gets the error "you don't have permission to use the application R".   the message is on a dialog box that pops up.

the R gui though is marvellous, works fine.   Problem is I can't run r from aquamacs (same error message), or from make.

R will though run as sudo, but that seems like a naughty workround.   But at least it suggests all the paths etc. are correct.

Fairly sure this is all dumb newbie mac user, but I hope I'm not the first.   I couldn't see anything on any helplists anywhere.   The only thing close was to run the "repair permissions" which I've done and a email from you a couple of years ago about mac installer setting permissions.   As I say, I think I've tracked the symlink itself as well as the files it links to /usr/bin/R is itself a symlink to R64.    All three users have an x when you do ls -l , they don't all have r and w.

Thanks
paul
Paul Hewson
Editor, Teaching Statistics (www.teachingstatistics.co.uk)