[R-SIG-Mac] Odd quartz behavior on 24" iMac at 10.7.5

Ray Spence rspence at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 17 20:17:07 CEST 2012

Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for your response. I've installed the inline library
and run the function as you wrote. The results are interesting. Following
this procedure on a 24" iMac running OS X 10.7.4 I get this:

 > f()
518.809mm x 320.842mm
[1] 1.617021

which is pretty close to what you predicted. However, doing the same on
another
24" iMac running OS X 10.7.5 I get this:

 > f()
0mm x 0mm
[1] NaN

which clearly shows a problem. I know that we can set the quartz dpi
variable
by hand per session or in users' .Rprofile file which will compensate
for this
problem. But I'd like to find a better solution that doesn't require
editing any
user file. I suppose this a bug but am not sure if it would belong to R or
to Apple?

Thanks again
Ray