[R-SIG-Mac] Odd quartz behavior on 24" iMac at 10.7.5

Ray Spence rspence at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 16 02:57:14 CEST 2012

All,

There seems to be something wrong between OS X 10.7.5 and how
quartz reads Apple graphics resolution on 24" iMac (early 2008,
iMac8,1) on R 2.15.1 GUI1.52. On this hardware/OS/R version the
default R plot is a rectangle. On same hardware/R version running
OS X 10.7.4 the default R plot is square as expected. (I don't see
this behavior on 20" iMac once upgraded to 10.7.5.)

On this problematic iMac, if I run quartz.options() without changing
anything I see:

>quartz.options()

$title

[1] "Quartz %d"

$width

[1] 7

$height

[1] 7

$pointsize

[1] 12

$family

[1] "Helvetica"

$fontsmooth

[1] TRUE

$antialias

[1] TRUE

$type

[1] "native"

$bg

[1] "transparent"

$canvas

[1] "white"

$dpi

[1] NA

But any plot, eg.
 >plot (rnorm(10),rnorm(10))

returns an image that is most definitely not a square.

Can anyone help me investigate this? For instance where/how
does R create the plot graphic? Are there specific OS X file(s) that R
reads to generate the plots?

My assumption is that this is an Apple Inc. generated problem
but figured that the R community might be a bit more responsive..

Thanks,
Ray

--
Raymond Spence