[R-SIG-Mac] Ugly default Tk font on Mac OS

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 8 19:26:39 CEST 2012

Dear all,

Milan and I have now corresponded about this issue privately, and it appears that there's a difference in the font used under his Mac OS X system (running Snow Leopard) and mine (running Mountain Lion). I currently get the font

	> tkfont.actual("RcmdrDefaultFont")
	<Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 10 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0

which (to my eye) is substantially more attractive than what I get when I hard-code Helvetica:

	<Tcl> -family Helvetica -size 10 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0

I don't know what the source of the difference is -- a different X-windows is used for Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, and Milan and I are in different language locales.

Of course, if there's a way to correct this problem, I'm happy to implement it.

Best,
 John