[R-SIG-Mac] [R] problem with the installation of r commander on a mac

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 4 22:32:37 CEST 2012

Dear Marco,

To provide some background, you and I have corresponded about your problem,
and now at least you appear to have the tcltk package installed. Did you
reinstall R as I suggested?

Have you checked that tcltk is working, following the instructions I sent
you in an earlier email?

I don't believe that the Rcmdr ever calls tk_messageBox directly, but there
is a tk_messageBox() function in tcltk, and you can check whether this is
the source (or a symptom) of the problem by issuing the following commands
in a fresh R session:

	library(tcltk)
	tk_messageBox(message="test")

That should, as the function name suggests, bring up a Tk message box.

Also I'm not sure what's going on with 'couldn't connect to display ":0"',
which suggests an X-Windows issue.

Finally, I'm moving this discussion to r-sig-mac, where you're more likely
to get knowledgeable assistance.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator McMaster Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada