[R-SIG-Mac] switching between 2 versions of R in the GUI

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 22:49:57 CET 2012

On 14/11/2012 20:26, Richard Friedman wrote:
> Dear R-Sig-mac,
>
> 	I have both the development version of R 2.16
> and R2.15.2 on my Mac (OS 10.7.5). I only have one
> GUI (for R2.16). I can start R windows for the 2
> versions from the command lines. I used to be able to switch with Rswitch
> but i don;t think that works any more. Is there a way I can get separate RGUIs
> for the stable and development versions?

When all else fails, read the FAQ:

'There is even a small GUI utility RSwitch available from the R for Mac
devel page that allows you to select the desired version. In addition,
any application embedding R (such as the R GUI) can choose to use a
specific R version (in most cases) or any version. Note that R.app is
compiled against a particular version of R and it may crash if RSwitch
is used to change the version of R in use.'

If just using RSwitch (sic) worked for you for different minor versions
of R, you were lucky.  It often has not.

You can of course do what you ask by installing (or building) separate
R.app's (if that is what you mean by 'RGUI') compiled against different
versions of R and running the appropriate one.  The developers do that
to test changes to the R.app sources.