[R-SIG-Mac] R 32-bit suddenly the default on Mountain Lion 10.8.2?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Nov 13 20:06:41 CET 2012

Hi All,

I am on a fully updated MacBook Pro, running 10.8.2. I get:

uname -m
x86_64

from the terminal, as would be expected.

I have been using the CRAN OSX binaries for some time now, rather than building from source, which I had been doing previously.

Somewhere along the way in the past few weeks, apparently since I installed R 2.15.2, the default architecture under which R is running is now 32 bit, not 64 bit, which was the case previously. I just noted this today due to some funny encoding issues that I had not seen before and have spent the past few hours trying to figure out what changed.

I initially thought something was amiss with the latest 2.15.2 release .pkg file. I completely removed R (Framework and symlinks to the startup scripts, etc.) and re-installed. Same thing. 32 bit R was the default link from 'R'.

So I removed R again and re-installed 2.15.1 (getting the older binary from CRAN), since that was the last version of R that I had installed which defaulted to 64 bit.

Funny, same thing, it defaulted to 32 bit R.

Then I wondered if there was something related to some anti-virus software (Avast) that I had recently installed due to some events that had occurred recently. I completely removed the AV software, rebooted, removed R and then re-installed R. Same thing, 32 bit R as the default.

What am I missing here? What is the installation program and/or the R startup script itself looking for that determines whether 64 or 32 bit R should the default when one simply uses 'R' to start it up? A read of the R startup script suggests that the output (as above) of 'uname -m' being 'x86_64' may be all that is needed, but perhaps I am missing something else.

I am also attaching the full installation log file here (for 2.15.2). I did not see anything there obvious to my eyes.

I can't recall the timeline well enough right now to consider whether some OSX update changed something, or if there is something strictly unique to my MBP that is causing this problem.

Thanks for any insights.

Regards,

Marc