[R-SIG-Mac] R.app and launchpad and 32 bit

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 8 13:51:27 CET 2012

On 08-11-2012, at 13:24, Andrew Yee wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to Mac and when i installed the R.app, I noticed that it
> put the 32 bit version of R onto the Launchpad instead of the 64 bit
> version.  Is this by design?

Both R.app and R64.app are installed in /Applications as long as you haven't customized the install.

OS X then updates the LaunchPad database (see below for its location).
And somehow only enters R.app in the database.
I have found that by deleting the database and killing Dock.app regenerates the database and then only R64.app is in the database.
Then you can launch R64 by typing R6 in the LaunchPad search field.
Since LaunchPad has very definite ideas how to sort applications starting with the letter R, you can only reach R.app by typing R and then using the arrow keys several times.

The mysterious ways of Apple and OS X.

I now have a shell script to reset all the silliness Mountain Lion seems to want.
I run it after an install.

The script is

# unhide Library
chflags nohidden ~/Library

# reset launchpad database to avoid silliness with R.app and R64.app
# either one of these disappears
# removing database and killing Dock makes R64 reappear, which I want as default.

rm "${HOME}/Library/Application Support/Dock"/*.db
killall Dock

# disable smooth scrolling
# no longer in system preferences
# needed to make TextMate react sensibly to PgUp/PgDn keys
# http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120726122633912
# http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_5_mountain_lion_ui_tricks

defaults write -g NSScrollAnimationEnabled -bool NO