[R-SIG-Mac] libiconv missing for R-devel build

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 30 19:29:01 CEST 2012

On May 30, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I haven't built R on Mac OS in a while, and now when I try the build fails with
>
> mkdir ../../../../library/tools/libs
> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _libiconv_open
>  Referenced from: /Users/murdoch/R/R-devel/lib/libR.dylib
>  Expected in: flat namespace
>
> dyld: Symbol not found: _libiconv_open
>  Referenced from: /Users/murdoch/R/R-devel/lib/libR.dylib
>  Expected in: flat namespace
>
> /bin/sh: line 1: 28203 Done                    echo "tools:::.install_package_description('.', '"../../../library/tools"')"
>     28204 Trace/BPT trap          | R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL ../../../bin/R --vanilla --slave > /dev/null
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 133
> make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
> make: *** [R] Error 1
>

> Looking through the configure output, I see
>
> checking iconv.h usability... yes
> checking iconv.h presence... yes
> checking for iconv.h... yes
> checking for iconv... no
> checking for iconvlist... no
> checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
>
> Can anyone let me know if the advice to install libiconv is really correct, and if so, how to do that?  I'm on OS X 10.6.8.

Are you sure you have Xcode properly installed and some 3rd party stuff doesn't interfere? This is what you get on a "vanilla" OS X:

checking iconv.h usability... yes
checking iconv.h presence... yes

checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for iconv... in libiconv
checking whether iconv accepts "UTF-8", "latin1", "ASCII" and "UCS-*"... yes
checking for iconvlist... yes
checking for iconv... yes
checking for iconv declaration...
         extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);

iconv is part of the OS, so unless you have macports/fink or alike messing with you it shoudl work out of the box ... Check your config.log - it should tell you what's hitting you ...