[R-SIG-Mac] R-SIG-Mac Digest, Vol 111, Issue 6

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Thu May 3 23:16:00 CEST 2012

Simon's response may have misled some folks:

Naive Windows users (redundant?)  don't understand either icon
relationships or how to display full file names.  Those "bad" zip files
are actually "sneakyname.zip.exe" .

AFAIK none of the more common unzipping utilities will launch an
executable after unpacking the archive.  It may well be that some idiot
(at Microsoft) set things up so that a new, say, .img file gets
automounted sort of like what Windows does with an inserted audio CD.
Otherwise, unpacking a true zip, or gzip, or tar.gz file will not lead
to any autoexec.

On 5/3/12 11:56 AM, r-sig-mac-request at r-project.org wrote:
-- DWin wrote:

> So I'm now wondering if there are two components to my misunderstanding:
>
> 1) My experience with Windows is that zip files are sometimes delivery
> vehicles for executable files and htat the OS can be configure to auto-
> execute such files on decompression without further intervention. I
> worried that MacOS might have the same potential.

Simon wrote:
On Windows, yes, executables can be masqueraded as zip files with
interesting consequences if the tools on the machine are broken enough

--

Sent from my Cray XK6
"Quidvis recte factum, quamvis humile, praeclarum."