[R-SIG-Mac] reading from clipboard error

Ken knoblauch ken.knoblauch at inserm.fr
Mon Mar 19 10:09:20 CET 2012

Mark Cowley <m.cowley <at> garvan.org.au> writes:
> However, If you don't have a trailing newline,
the last line is silently skipped. Note
> readLines(warn=TRUE)'s doesn't produce a waning,
thus I think it doesn't even see the final line.

> Simple example:
> Select the letters with or without a trailing new line,
copy to clipboard, then

> # without trailing newline
> readLines(pipe("pbpaste"))
> [1] "A" "B" "C"
> # with trailing newline
> readLines(pipe("pbpaste"))
> [1] "A" "B" "C" "D"

I can replicate this with readLines if I stop
the blocking right after the D but not if
I take the whole line.
I don't get it though with either read.table or scan

> readLines(pipe("pbpaste"))
[1] "A" "B" "C"
> read.table(pipe("pbpaste"))
  V1
1  A
2  B
3  C
4  D
Warning message:
In read.table(pipe("pbpaste")) :
  incomplete final line found by readTableHeader on 'pbpaste'
> scan(pipe("pbpaste"), what = "character")
Read 4 items
[1] "A" "B" "C" "D"

> cheers,
> Mark
> Mark Cowley, PhD
>
> Pancreatic Cancer Program | Peter Wills Bioinformatics Centre
> Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia

Ken Knoblauch
Inserm U846
Stem-cell and Brain Research Institute
Department of Integrative Neurosciences