[R-SIG-Mac] cannit get list of binary packages from the GUI

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 18:19:21 CET 2012

On Mar 17, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 17/03/2012 11:27, Berend Hasselman wrote:

>>> Could PACKAGES file be in some damaged state that R cannot
>>> process? When I change the repository to that value  in the R64
>>> GUI and try to see either either the binary versions or the source
>>> versions of contributed packages in the Package Installer I get
>>> these warnings at the console:
>>>
>>> Warning: unable to access index for repository  http://r.research.att.com/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14
>>>
>>> Warning: unable to access index for repository  http://r.research.att.com/src/contrib
>>>
>>> I am able to see the .tgz packages at http://r.research.att.com/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14/
>>>  with Firefox.
>>>
>>> I am able to get a list of source packages (but not binary) to
>>> display in the Package Installer if I use a different repository.
>>> And I am able to install binary packages with ... for example:
>>>
>>> install.packages("actuar", repo="http://r.research.att.com",
>>> type="mac.binary.leopard")
>>>
>>> (Which updated an existing version to the current version.)
>>>
>>> Admittedly I am running a somewhat behind the times version, but
>>> this is completely different behavior than it has exhibited up to
>>> a few days ago.
>>>

>> I updated binary packages  this morning (17 March 2012  approx.
>> 9:00 CET) without any problem at all from http://cran.r-
>> project.org. Yesterday no update appeared possible (Get List
>> couldn't retrieve the list of packages ).
>
> Yes, I updated PACKAGES[.gz] on the CRAN master this morning.  There
> is clearly a problem mirroring to CRAN and I have alerted the
> relevant people.  Hopefully mirroring will not wipe out the files I
> copied over without putting later ones in their place.

In case anyone actually needs to use the Package Installer while this
get investigated, I see that the CRAN repo at "the Hutch" still is in
a state where it will populate the binaries list.

http://cran.fhcrc.org

Neither the AT&T, the CMU, nor the ETH CRAN repos will do so as of 1PM
US Eastern time.

--
David