[R-SIG-Mac] how to open R commands from a separate file and execute them

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Mar 10 20:35:26 CET 2012

On Mar 10, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Kent Manley wrote:

> Mamush,
>
> I might also suggest that you might like to try RStudio, which is an integrated development environment. Furthermore, you might want to look around at TexShop, which can be easily integrated with Sweave/Tangle facilities. And also TextWrangler, which is free text editor (for working on your .r files) also has script integration which allows you to cntl+enter to send text to the R cmd interpreter and display the results.

Well, the integrated editor in the R.app allows exactly that (the others are usually trying to copy it) and supports R code, Rd files etc. It is the canonical way to work with R,  so it is beyond me why people would suggest millions of different external apps while R has all you need. I can understand if people used to those apps prefer them to R (e.g I sometimes use emacs instead because I'm used to it), but for a new user I would not require them to learn so many new tools.