[R-SIG-Mac] packages, R-patched and RC [Was: Importing Excel files]

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:20:26 CEST 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 23:29 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 19/06/2012 17:35, Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> 2.15.1 is announced for Friday... I think it's a bit of a glitch that CRAN is already automatically providing packages for it, but you are of course more than welcome to test the prereleases (from http://R.research.att.com/).
>>>
>>> I suppose that this comes about from building packages with R-patched, which transitions directly into the prereleases for the next version.
>>>

>> Yes, this is a side-effect of that. I wonder what we can do about it - I used to build packages with released versions only, but then people complained that patched had fixes for some things they needed...
>
> We could simply not update the version of R-patched used during the beta/RC periods: they are after all only about 10 days.

Yes, that would handle the formal issue of the version number conflict.

However, there's a deeper issue which got highlighted by the identical() debacle in April-June: It seems that we can't guarantee ABI compatibility throughout the R-branch series (e.g., everything labeled 2.15.x). We try to ensure that the modified versions of R will run packages built with a previous version, but the other way around might not work. If that sort of thing happens in R-patched, midway between releases, then users could find themselves blocked from installing packages until they update to R-patched, which could be undesirable in corporate or educational settings.

Some R-core deliberations might be called for...