[R-SIG-Mac] graphics device with record=TRUE

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jul 5 16:01:58 CEST 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 9:42 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2012, at 11:47 PM, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> thank you.  it works.
>>
>> Where is it documented?
>
> The first place I find written documentation of the cmd-arrow
> functions  is in the R MacOSX FAQ:
> 12.8 Why are Quartz plots much bigger than they used to be?
> (Second paragraph)
>
> (I may have read about the stack depth in one of the postings from
> Simon in this venue. The figure of ten is a rough guess. The true
> value is somewhere  in the range of 8 to 15.)
>
>> I want to set the depth to something much larger than 10.
>
> I have not found a place for users to change this. May be that a
> compile time change is needed. (Simon will hopefully correct me if
> this is wrong.)

R-devel/src/library/grDevices/src/qdCocoa.m at 37:

#define histsize 16

so, yes, it is hard-coded in R.

It is not part of the R.app GUI but actually of the Quartz device in R itself so it is not configurable.

It simply saves display lists and replays them as you go back - you can do that with any device that has display lists enabled (see dev.control). I'm not sure what Rich is up to but you can always save and restore plots with GEcreateSnapshot and GEplayDisplayList regardless of the device and the display list is just an R object. Keeping more than 16 plots seems a little tedious to go through ...