[R-SIG-Mac] Lion and X11

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Jan 29 00:03:51 CET 2012

On Jan 28, 2012, at 1:46 PM, cstrato wrote:

> Yes, although I have started X11.app and run R from within an xterm I get:
>
> > plot(1:8)
> No protocol specified
> Error in X11(d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize, d$gamma, d$colortype,  :
>  unable to start device X11
> In addition: Warning message:
> In function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
>  unable to open connection to X11 display ''

Chances are that you DISPLAY is unset - you possibly messed with it in your startup files so R can't use X11 unless you give it the proper display. On a clean OS X you will see it set properly, e.g.:

> Sys.getenv("DISPLAY")
[1] "/tmp/launch-byCZTH/org.x:0"

Please check that your DISPLAY is set (and that you don't mess with R options, either). This is setting is automatic on SL/Lion.