[R-SIG-Mac] Multiple R versions: set Current via symbolic link: permissions?

Peter Carr pcarr at broadinstitute.org
Wed Jan 25 02:06:53 CET 2012

I, too, would like to run multiple versions of R, via command line, on Mac OS X.
I have looked in vain for a clear explanation of why there can be one and only
one 'Current' version of R running at a time.

After running the installer, I manually edit the
/Library/Frameworks/Versions/<version>/Resources/bin/R script.
Replacing the '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources' with
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources'.

Is this sufficient to support multiple versions of R on a Mac?

Thanks,
Peter