[R-SIG-Mac] gcc, gfortran and Xcode upgrade

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:16:57 CET 2012

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:13:43 AM UTC-8, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2012, at 1:15 AM, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>
> > All incarnations of XCode that I have seen have linked dev tool binaries
> into /usr. The package installs compilers to /usr/local so they should be
> safe.
> >

> No, the gcc-4.2 package (and gfortran for Xcode) installs into /usr

My mistake. I've been re-rooting the installation to `/usr/local` for so
long that my brain thinks that is where it lives.

> > There are rumblings indicating that XCode 4.3 will keep the dev tools
> internal to XCode.app its self and not link anything to /usr other than a
> few utility tools such as xcode_select.
> >

> Interestingly there is iOS beta but no OS X beta so I wouldn't panic since
> for iOS it makes sense.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

We have been getting lots of reports from XCode beta users that the next
iteration will be a self-contained application bundle:

    https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/9179

-Charlie