[R-SIG-Mac] gcc, gfortran and Xcode upgrade

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 07:15:03 CET 2012

On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:57:55 AM UTC-8, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Federico Calboli wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am on OS X 10.7.2, Xcode 4.2.1, R 2.14.1 (GUI 6008) and I was
> wondering what would happen if I installed
> >
> > gcc-4.2 (Apple build 5666.3) with GNU Fortran 4.2.4 for Mac OS X 10.7
> (Lion)
> > (from http://r.research.att.com/tools/)
> >
> > and then Apple released Xcode 4.2.2… would I have to reinstall gcc-4.2
> and gfortran after upgrading Xcode?
> >

> I didn't actually test it, but Xcode should not touch the gcc-4.2
> installed by us, so the answer should be no (if Apple plays by its own
> rules).
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

All incarnations of XCode that I have seen have linked dev tool binaries
into /usr. The package installs compilers to /usr/local so they should be
safe.

There are rumblings indicating that XCode 4.3 will keep the dev tools
internal to XCode.app its self and not link anything to /usr other than a
few utility tools such as xcode_select.

-Charlie