[R-SIG-Mac] cannot create third plot window using x11()

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 25 23:55:49 CET 2012

I can open several (I was going to say 'as many as I like", but
that is hard to verify) windows on my setup.  I do have a very
recent update to XQuartz installed: XQuartz 2.7.1_rc2 (xorg-server 1.11.4)
(I have just now been advised of the release of 2.7.1, which I have duly installed.)

I notice the following at http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

"
OS-X Software Updates have included some of the work done by this project, but for various reasons, Apple cannot ship the latest and greatest version offered by this site. Since our package clobbers Apple's X11.app, their SU will clobber ours. Because of this, you may experience conflicts after doing a Software Update from Apple. It is suggested that you install the latest XQuartz release after installing an update to OS-X Leopard.
"

I am running OSX 10.7.3 (Lion).  I have not had any issues with conflicts of which I am aware.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm