[R-SIG-Mac] can not open R

Thu Feb 23 21:16:46 CET 2012

Hi Dawn,

When replying to R help emails, please "reply all" so that a copy of
the correspondence gets sent back to the mailing list.

Anyway, if we jump to your symptoms:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Dawn <dawn1313 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Do you run it through the terminal?
>
>    No.
>
>> Did you install it using the *.pkg and now the R*.app(s) in your
>> /Applications folder aren't working?
>
>   yes. After I installed using the R-2-2.14.1.pkg, both R and R64 icons
> appeared in /Applications folder. But by doubling clicking both, neither
> could be opened.(The icon in the docking area is jumping all the time)
>

>> Are you using RStudio ...
>
>    I don't think so.
>>

>> Can you tell us the error message you see?
>
>    no error message, just jumping all the time.

I wonder if it is trying to load some data file you have previously
saved? This would be in ~/.RData (or is it ~/.Rdata).

Can you open your terminal and run this command:

ls ~/.R*

Do you see any such .RData file there? If so, delete it and try again
to run R again (or just move that file to the desktop if you don't
want to delete it).

Another thing to try while you're in the terminal is to just run R
from inside it to see what's cooking, perhaps like so:

R --vanilla

Does R come up in your terminal?

-steve

--