[R-SIG-Mac] gcc 4.7?

Timothy Bates tim.bates at ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 17:10:49 CET 2012

Dear OS X folk,

Background: I’m compiling projects which require OpenMP. These crash when linking to the omp libraries included by Apple under llvm, so, wanting to install omp-friendly gcc

Simon[1] has a long list of possible binaries, mostly at gcc 4.2.4

It also has a warning against the hpc[2] binary “they won’t work correctly!”

But hpc have gcc 4.7, updated for Lion as recently as Feb 2012 (10.7 Lion only) and explicitly suporting OpenMP.

I downloaded and installed this binary: All running fine…

So questions:
1. Is it the case that the hpc binary “doesn’t work correctly” for R?
2. Is a recommended install that is up to date and robust?

3. Compiling the OpenMx package, all the compile steps run fine, but the make fails on one of the final load checks as follows:

** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared object '/Users/tim/Library/R/2.14/library/OpenMx/libs/i386/OpenMx.so':
  dlopen(/Users/tim/Library/R/2.14/library/OpenMx/libs/i386/OpenMx.so, 6): Symbol not found: _GOMP_parallel_end
  Referenced from: /Users/tim/Library/R/2.14/library/OpenMx/libs/i386/OpenMx.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

Any clues why “_GOMP_parallel_end” not found?

many thanks
tim

[1] http://r.research.att.com/tools/
[2] http://hpc.sourceforge.net/