[R-SIG-Mac] R GUI: expansion of paths in Console when dragging from Finder

jochen laubrock jochen.laubrock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 00:28:07 CET 2012

Hello all,

in R.app (GUI), dragging a folder into the Console used to expand the full path to the folder as far as I remember. Now the behavior seems to have changed. In many cases, the full path is still expanded (somewhat; the tilde abbreviation "~" is used for a users home directory). However, if the selection in the Finder is a file or directory below R's current working directory, only a relative path is inserted into the command window. This can be puzzling.

What is the motivation for this change? In my opinion, the old behavior was more consistent, and also more useful because it could be used to obtain the full path to a file. I would also prefer if the behavior were consistent between the GUI and command line R (in which dragging always leads to full path expansion).

Regards,
Jochen

PS: On a related note, having the (almost) full path to a file expanded in the debug prompt can make the output hard to read.

R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages: